Reactions:

Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Time to Serve and a Time to Listen/Enjoy One’s Company


Luke 10

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

My mother reminds me of Martha because she is always trying to serve and tend to others needs. My mother rarely seats and enjoys her company. As a result, she often misses out on the time she has with her loved ones.

I recently read Luke 10 and the above passage stood out. Jesus said he did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28). Although, I believe it is important for people to serve God, I believe it is very important to also take the time to enjoy his company. How can we enjoy Jesus company? Well, John 1:1 states, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. We have God’s words at our finger tips yet many of us often do not take the time to read and/or listen to those words. Others often consume themselves with work, family and in things such as church activities. However, I believe there is a time to serve and a time to listen/enjoy one’s company.