Reactions:

Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Be Careful of Who You Share Your Dreams With


Genesis 37
19 “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other. 20 “Come now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we’ll see what comes of his dreams.”


The story of Joseph the Dreamer is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. It is a story of God’s grace, protection, favor, power and so many other things. It is a story of a dreamer named Joseph who starts off as one with a dream who experiences much before that dream is realized. In a sense, I believe it shows how dreams are great to have but also how sharing dreams can be dangerous.

I often tell my nephew that he doesn’t have to always brag/tell people what he has or what he has accomplished. Do not get me wrong, I want him to tell me about these things and what good things he has done. Never-the-less, I care about him, want the best for him, am not jealous and want him to accomplish more than I do. But there are many other who do not care about him in the way I do and because of jealousy and/or various other reasons, may wish harm rather than good.

As with telling people about what one has I believe it is also vital to be cautions to tell people about dreams/goals. As a result of Joseph telling his family (yes his family) about his dreams, he was sold into slavery by his brothers. Joseph was taking care of in spite of his brothers selling him into slavery. Never-the-less, would he have had to endure what he did if he had not? What Joseph brothers did through their evil desires, God allowed it and turned it for good. For those who do not know the story, if you read it you will see what I mean.

Any thoughts?