Reactions:

Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Remember and Renew Your Faith


I am a fan of Grey’s Anatomy, a TV show that tells fictional stories about a group of doctors. :) Don’t judge me. I am man enough to admit that I like it. Anyway, in Grey’s Anatomy there was this character named Dr. Lexie Grey. Lexie was described as having a photographic memory. Due to this gift, she was able to help solve a variety of medical cases. Not having a great memory myself, I admired her gift. I believe having a good memory is beneficial because it utilizes our experiences and communication of the past to help (if we have learned) deal with current situations. I believe having a good memory can help many of us, yet it often seems as though we are very forgetful.


God’s chosen people the Israelites at times seem to have had amazingly bad memories. After being shown wondrous things never before seen by humankind (the 10 plagues and the splitting of the sea), they rebelled against God. Wait. Before we are so judgmental of them, how many times have we been lead out of a situation (bad relationship, wrong place at the wrong time, being supplied with something we needed when we did not have it and etc.) then shortly after wonder if God loves or is going to be there for us? “Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.” (Isaiah 59:1)


The forgetful Israelites that I talked about were told to celebrate and have festivals to commemorate their salvation from Egypt and slavery. (Reference Exodus 13:3-10) As with the Israelites I believe we should also celebrate our salvation through whatever we have been saved from. If you have dealt with debt and worked your way out realizing that it was through God’s grace and mercy, take a day to celebrate not only it but God as well. Do not just do it for a year, but each year so that if you do have to deal with the same or similar situation, you will know what God has done and what God can do.


The Israelites were also told to tell and teach their children what they saw and experienced. (Reference Deuteronomy) Children seem to have good but selective memories. Never-the-less, not only should parents teach and sit down with their children to go over school work, but life work as well. Is it enough to just tell a child that God is good and about baby Jesus? I believe more need and should be done with teaching children about God and our experiences with God. As a result, maybe less suicides, depression and a feeling of loneliness would occur.


Like I stated, I believe my memory is not the best. As a result, I have kept various scripture on a flash drive that relates to numerous subjects such as anger, forgiveness, faith, patience, worrying, and etc. I also plan to document various trying situations within my life and the life of others I see to remind myself of God’s love, grace and mercy. It may also be a good thing if I attempt to document various promises God has made.


It is understood that some people’s life may have been filled with turmoil, pain and suffering. Having been raped, abused and mistreated is imaginable to me. Job’s experience in the Bible is still not understood by me. However, as with Job my lack of understanding does not outweigh my faith in the goodness and fairness of God. King David had not only Saul trying to kill him but eventually Absalom his son trying to do the same without cause. Yet, David loved, humbled himself before God and trusted in God. 2 Samuel 24:14 states, David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men." David knew God and so should we better get to know God.


Although we may not always understand why things occur in various situations, later in life we may have insight that can shed some knowledge. Even if things are never understood, we are encouraged through our faith that God can and will wipe every tear from our eyes (Revelation 21:4). Also if you believe God has never done anything for you remember John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Also, Romans 5:6-8 states, You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

I will close with Psalms 77. I hope it encourages you as it does me.


Psalm 77

For the director of music. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph. A psalm.

1 I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. 2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands, and I would not be comforted. 3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned; I meditated, and my spirit grew faint. 4 You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak. 5 I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; 6 I remembered my songs in the night. My heart meditated and my spirit asked: 7 “Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? 8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? 9 Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion? ” 10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal: the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. 11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. 12 I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” 13 Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God? 14 You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples. 15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. 16 The waters saw you, God, the waters saw you and writhed; the very depths were convulsed. 17 The clouds poured down water, the heavens resounded with thunder; your arrows flashed back and forth. 18 Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and quaked. 19 Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen. 20 You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.